Saturday, July 21, 2007

KISS

Quick follow up to the new Risotto website.

I really like the idea of a simple one-page portfolio. I figure this is kind of like a resume, where longer is not better.

So when building such a simple site, it is advantageous to really think about what you need, or don't need.

Do I need Django for this? No. This is not a dynamic website. But I used Django anyway. I have my dev environment set up where the overhead of starting a new Django project is essentially free, giving me a project structure I am incredibly familiar with, and a few simple features that prove useful even for a site this simple (namely template inheritance). This also allows growth, as I eventually want to write my own blog app and stop using Blogger.

Do I need a CMS for this? No. This is not a multi-page website and I am more than capable editing HTML.

Do I need a Django deployment? No. Configuring a new vhost on one of my mod_python servers, as well as updating the DNS didn't seem smart when the old placeholder page was sitting in a perfectly fine Dreamhost folder. So I opted for a simple deployment:

wget -m http://xx.xx.xxx.xxx:8000/


Where the x's represent the IP of my local Django development server. Wget's `-m` mirrors the dynamic local site and saves the output as static files perfect for hosting on any old shared host.

I think I've managed to do a good job of keeping things simple for this project...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.