Sunday, July 29, 2007

Digg Comment System is Broken

When they rolled out the latest update to the comment system a month ago, I did my part by upvoting the 'Fix The Comment System' thread.

They addressed some of the show stopping bugs pretty quickly, but it has been 36 days and if you ask me the damn thing is still broken.

The latency for populating threads, as well as the excessive styling, whitespace, borders, and form controls for threads is laughable. How a site with a presumably large budget could conceive such a poor design is beyond me.

But the biggest problem is that I can't open a Digg page with comments on my 1.33 GHz G4 Powerbook. Well, it's not that I can't, it's that I sorely regret it if I do. The fan starts whirring, the beachball kicks in, and my browser is tied up for close to 30 seconds on any well commented page. Seriously, what is going on here?

I've been meaning to sell this laptop for a long time, but maybe I should keep it around for testing my sites and make sure they don't suck as much as Digg.

And to be honest, I'd love the ability to just turn all Digg comments off completely. I do not read Digg for the comments.

No comments: